Hunger Games (Book Comments)

I will be upfront and tell you that this post will be a spoiler.  If you have not read "The Hunger Games" series but plan to, you might not want to read this post.

I knew before I started reading the series that many people did not like the way Collins ended the series.  As I started to read the first book, I started to decide in my mind how I wanted the series to end.  I knew that I wanted Katniss and Peeta to be together in the end (yes, I am a hopeless romantic.)  So, knowing that people did not like the way the series ended I was preparing myself for them to NOT end up together.  To my surprise they did end up together.  I was so delighted!  I understand that many people probably did not like the way that many characters were killed in the last book.  It is sad but I think it makes the book more realistic.  This is a war.  Many people do not come home from war.  My cousin was in Iraq with her husband when he died.  She, thankfully came home to us with a beating heart, he did not.  It is a sad reality.  While the ending is not a fairytale it does bring the realities of war to light.  Perhaps if we sit back and think about it we will realize that part of the reason we may not like the way the book ended is because of the fact that it is too life-like.  I find it interesting that so many people did not like how the book ended because they thought it should be happier.  Maybe it is that people want books to be happier than life.  But, the thing about fiction is that we are not the author.  We can't dictate how the author should or should not have written the book.  It does not make it so Collins is any less of a great writer because she chose to kill Prim.  Now, all this being said, I would have been very sad had Katniss not ended up with Peeta in the end.   Maybe that is why I am so pleased with the books because I only had one thing I wanted out of the book in the end and I got my desire.

Comments

Popular Posts