Energizer Bunny

"Are you related to the Energizer bunny?"  I had that question asked of me a few times this weekend.  I have never thought anything I was doing was that great or special.  Apparently others disagree.  I thought what I was doing was just what all parents do.  In fact, I often feel like I am not doing enough for my children.  I hear these other moms paying for pricey summer camps and extra curriculars and I feel like my kids are missing out on something.  But, I have to remind myself of a few things.  1 -- we are a one income family.  Some of those pricey summer camps are paid for by the second income and because there is not a parent home during the day all summer long.  2 -- my kids are getting things...  swim team, dance class, riding lessons, 4H, classes at the co-op.  It is not like they are hermits.  No they will not be taking the pricey $140 per child swim camp to better their skills and therefore they might not be the best on the team but they do get to be on the team and that is better than nothing, right?

I don't know, for some reason I always feel like my kids are lacking compared to their peers.  But what if it is not that they are lacking, what if they are getting more time with their family and building those relationships that are seemingly dwindling in this country.  Isn't that more important than being able to play a musical instrument?

Somehow people think that I do a lot and have all this energy I don't see in myself.  I hope that I am not making others feel as though they are somehow lacking when they see the things I do.  I would not want anyone to think that they are somehow letting their children down, after all, I know how that feels.

Comments

Popular Posts