Curriculum Struggles

Sunk costs are getting to me.  I am struggling with my curriculum choices.  I paid money for these items and they are not working for my family.  I feel like so much money has been wasted on products that really do sound good but are not working for my children.  I know these companies are businesses and need to make money, but only one out there tells me the reasons NOT to buy their curriculum!  Shouldn't they all be like that?  Who wants to have the customers be unhappy?  Wouldn't it be better to have fewer very happy customers than many who are lukewarm about the product?  I am frustrated.  I feel like I have wasted my husband's hard earned money on some of these things that sounded great but do not work for my children!

I am a huge fan of Cathy Duffy's book 101 Top Pick for Homeschool Curriculum.  I take the test in the front at least once every 12 months to see how my styles have changed over time to make sure that I am getting products that work for me.  However, while she talks about the styles for the children, I am not sure where one of my children fits in there.  I wish there was a "quiz" for the students as well so that I could see really where he fits in.

So what do I do?  Do I keep using these books that are not working for my child because I bought them?  OR, do I pay more money to try something new?  Honestly, I don't know.  I know I will be buying a new program next year!  But, I am not there yet so I am not sure how to handle it right now.  I am trying to be fiscally responsible but it feels like I have a fight on my hands for that.  I feel like I have failed in that department right now.

Not only that but these failing curricula are taking valuable time away from me and my children.  We are wasting time on products that are not working and therefor we are loosing precious time that we will never get back.  We are losing time to learn through play and fun.  We are losing time to be together and enjoy each other.

So I am left with the choice to throw money out the window to lose time with my children.  Neither is a perfect choice but I think using products that are not working will do more damage than good... Now to convince my OCD perfectionist brain that it is ok to stop and move on (and sell what I can) despite the financial loss...

Comments

Popular Posts