Two are better than one, but three are better than two...

As I sit here this last day of VBS, I am looking at my table and my focus keeps coming to those glasses. All the sudden, I find I can't read without them. I hear this is common in middle age, but how did I reach middle age?

Proverbs 16:31 tells us that "Grey hair is a crown of glory...". Does that mean that reading glasses are as well? They both signify the same thing. I just am having a hard time accepting them. I guess I was under the spell of youth thinking that I somehow would age differently and not need all the helps that I have seen those that have walked this path before me need.

As I reflect on this, I am drawn to the fact that tomorrow I celebrate my 22nd wedding anniversary. Tomorrow my marriage will be the age I was at my wedding. Where did 22 years go? I have proof I lived them... three children show that fact. But it feels like we were married just yesterday. I am thankful to have found someone who will put up with my quirks and love me in spite of them. There are days that I still can't believe that I was blessed enough to marry him. We are proof that high school sweethearts can work out but the part that I feel needs to be said today is that we could not and would not have done it without Christ!

There are a lot of wedding cards and anniversary plaques for walls that will quote Ecclesiastes 4:9 that says "Two are better than one..." but I so wish that they actually would quote Ecclesiastes 4:12: "Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.." This is the only way that we have made it 22 years. My kids have heard this over and over again. Our marriage was not even pleasant without Christ. We NEED him.

So as I sit here bemoaning my new friends, the reading glasses, I will smile because I have been given a wonderful friend and companion as another "help" to get through this life. Ever since we asked Christ into our marriage our walk, while definitely not easy, has been wonderful. I would do it all over again with him (my husband) but not without Him (Christ).

Comments

Popular Posts