Father's Day is special

Father's day this is year is special... it is not just Father's Day... it is our 17th wedding anniversary. What makes it extra special this year is that we were married on Father's Day.  Not because I thought anything about the type of father my husband would make but entirely because it is way cheaper to be married on Sunday!! It only happens so many times that our Anniversary is back on Father's Day as it was the day we were married...

So many things have happened in the 17 years since we said our "I do"s.  I would not have thought it possible if you told me that day but I love him so much more than I did that day.  In part, it is because I have learned what love truly is and in part it is because we are totally different people than who we were that day. There are hints and shadows of those two floating around but we are for the most part we are different.  We don't even look the same.  He has lost a lot of hair and for every hair he lost I think I have gained a pound!

As it turns out, he is a wonderful father to our children.  Seeing how very much our children love him makes me love him even more.  They adore their dad.  When he is home all they want is another minute to spend with him.  While that may seem ordinary to you, I find it special.  It was not that way in the house I grew up in and I am so thankful that it is this way for my children.

I know my husband loves us very much.  Not just because he says it.  Not just because he gives us gifts or cards or even spends time with us. No, it is probably the time he does not spend with us that tells me even more how much he loves us.  He works at his job knowing that he is the only income.  I have a degree, I could be bringing in close to what he does.  But yet, he never asks me to work.  He lets me stay home with these children and raise them and teach them.  That is special.  I don't think for one minute that this is a sacrifice to be taken lightly.  Being the sole wage earner in a world of mostly two income families is not an easy task -- add to it the expenses of curriculum and it seems even more stressful.  But in all things God has provided what we need and often more.  I would not change our decision for me to stay home to make life "easier" for us.  I am extremely grateful that we are very blessed to be able to do this (not everyone can).  I just feel that I have to express that I am very grateful that he takes on that responsibility head on and does not ask me to reconsider (even when I offer).

No marriage is without it's hills and valleys but if he asked me to marry him all over again, I would go through every valley with him again (hoping that perhaps I could be a better person in those valleys...) I would celebrate every high with him again.  I am thankful for the 17 years we have had so far and I truly hope we are able to celebrate our 50th, 60th and maybe 75th together with our families -- I will take all the hills and valleys given to us to take on together.  Just being able to take them on together is a special thing -- no small gift!

Happy Anniversary, My Dear, and Happy Father's Day! (Does having our anniversary on Father's Day mean I have to cook? :D)

Comments

Popular Posts