Saturday, June 2, 2012

So, last year I attended a seminar at my homeschooling convention that made me rethink the TV shows that I watched.  The funny thing is that many of the shows had topics and things in it that made me uncomfortable.  I knew they went against my beliefs but I thought to myself that I was just watching them for entertainment and there was nothing wrong with that.  But as I sat their in this seminar the gentleman said "I hope none of you here watch 'show x' or 'show y'."  I sat there and pondered this for a moment because I did watch those shows and I was surprised that they were specifically called out.  "I don't have cable so these were not on showtime or one of those channels that produces those 'really terrible shows'", I thought to myself.  But I knew that between my discomfort as I turned them on each week and now this, that God was talking to me.  I thought back to those Bible verses that talk about how we are supposed to fill our lives with what is good and these shows certainly were not good.  Now that is not to say that you can't watch anything if it is not made for and by Puritans but really I was not even learning any great moral or anything from these shows.  So, I made the decision to stop watching these shows.  It was harder than I thought.  I just wanted to know how the story line was going to end in some cases.  I did not want to watch all the details, just wanted to find out what the writers had in store!  But, I did it.  I stopped cold turkey and decided at the beginning of this year that I was going to become more "well read". I think of all these people I know who seem intelligent and to know what is going on and I noticed they all read.  Now, I am a very slow reader -- VERY slow so I thought I would set my goal low and attainable at first.  So, my goal for this year is to read one book a month. It does not matter if it is non-fiction or fiction but I want to read some of these books that I bought! :)  So here we are in June and I have so far exceeded my goal.  Over the next several days I want to give some reviews of the books I have read for all of you to read my thoughts.  Some of them will be spoilers so I will label them as such -- I don't want to ruin it for others, after all, I hate it when that happens to me!  But, I have read some really good books lately and I want to share that with everyone!

But, today I do not start there.  Today, I start with my surgery from yesterday.  It was minor but the recovery is much more than I thought it would be.  I knew I could not drive for two weeks but I did not realize how important it would be to not bear weight on my foot for 2 weeks.  After all, the doctor only gave me a post-op shoe.  I was the one who said I would be using crutches to be safe.  Well, it turns out that bearing weight on my foot will lead to scar tissue that can be more painful than the issue itself. So, if I have to I will wait 4 weeks to walk on it.  I do not want to go back in two months to have the scar tissue removed!  But my real complaint here is that I did not find all this out until I was in bed waiting for her to cut me open.  I have a flood of people helping me to care for my children and I have the church bringing me meals. However, I originally thought this was all over-kill.  Now, I see I really do need this help.  I am glad I did not wait to put those things in place.  But, doesn't it seem that this should have been a discussion the doctor had with me PRIOR to surgery?  And when surgery was over I never saw the doctor or the residents again.  I saw a nurse.  He wanted to know if I wanted my visitor to come back in.  I told him I was tired and wanted to sleep so he left.  But a couple minutes later I realized that I needed to use the restroom because despite my lack of drinking the IV was pumping fluid in me.  As soon as I got back he decided that since I was up I could have visitors and then shortly later I could go home.  I really felt pushed out of my bed.  I slept all day at home which is by far more comfortable, but honestly, I don't like feeling rushed out the door.  I wanted my discharge to be from the doctor or one of her residents not this nurse who when I asked questions said "I don't think so, it is not written here." It seems to me that we pay a lot of money for our medical care but we don't get necessarily what we are paying for... just my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment