Sunday, June 3, 2012

It has been a long time since I read fiction.  I have been reading so many parenting and home school books that I forgot that some books are just plan for fun!  A friend of mine and her daughter were reading these books that she seemed really interested in.  I did not pick them up at first but then one day at our trip to the library I picked them up -- all 10 of them!  I started to read "The 39 Clues".  I was sucked in.  I am a very slow reader but I read 9 of the 10 in one month.  They are an easy read and are not very long.  I let my 8 year old daughter read them as well.  But she was only allowed to read them AFTER I did.  For many of them she was waiting for me to finish because she reads so much faster than I do.  But, there are some topics in there that I wanted to read about so I could talk to her about and honestly I did not want her to accidentally reveal anything to me ahead of time. :)  The thing that amazes me most about these books are that they are written by different authors, yet they all seem to flow together.  I would love to know how they did this.  I mean did the dude that wrote the second book have to read the first one before he wrote his or how did they schedule this.  At first as I read the first chapter of the second book I thought it was going to be obvious that there were different writing styles between the books but as I continued on, it was pretty seamless.  To me, this is a huge accomplishment.  I think it would be hard enough to write a series let alone with several other authors involved but they did it -- very well I might add!

I don't want this to be a spoiler, so I will just give basics here.  Dan and Amy Cahill are at their Grandmother's funeral and have to decide between $1million each or a clue that leads to a clue that leads to a clue... ( you get the point) to something that will make them the most powerful person alive.  The thing is there are many other family members trying for the same thing and only one can win. The books take them through many countries and the authors mix in historical facts with the fiction so that at some points you don't know what is real and what isn't anymore.  The family members are not nice to each other.  There are attempted murders and deaths and plots of death all over the place.   These books contain a lot of action and because of that I would think that boys who are interested in books that keep moving would like these books.


No comments:

Post a Comment